Thursday, February 22, 2018

An Unexpected Trade


Experience with the 525 and BU sold me on the Necchi line, and that's when I met another guy who’s into machines. He seeks specific models for Amish customers and he offered me a trade.  So, now there’s an early model BU and BF Supernova on the bench. I thought I’d never see one, and now there’s two? 



Then - as if almost an afterthought - he asks me on the phone:
"Hey, somebody just gave me this Kenmore. I think it's froze up and I have no need for it..."
"Sure," I said, "bring it along. I'll see what I can do."
That was all on me. 
Although it did have it's attachments, and a full cam set, on the top of the cabinet newspapers had soaked into the finish. One corner of the veneer was beginning to lift. The machine was dirty, and... yes, it was frozen. My Niece stopped by as I was re-arranging things and took one look into the cabinet and said:  "Ewe, that's disgusting."


After dinner, at about 6:30, I headed to the garage, pulled it out of it's cabinet and set it on the bench. I pulled off the top cover and began cleaning and oiling. Surprisingly, inside the top was in great shape. The bottom mechs had some rusty bits here and there, but nothing serious.

Playing with the millimeter of hand wheel travel I traced the bind to the needle arm. Inside the front there was dirt and grim and a little rust. I hit the bar up with Tri-flow and went back to lube & clean. Ten minutes later the needle bar broke free. I ran emery cloth around the bar, and the presser foot assembly; replaced the rusty needle. 


Then I looked in the attachment box and found a bobbin case - cleaned that up - found some thread, and prepared to see if it would sew - and it did. I mean straight away sew. No tension issues. No dropped stitch. Just - bang - sewed. I changed the thread length - and everything worked. Even the front lamp flickered on and then stayed on! omg...

That's when I sat back and looked it over. The machine was still dirty. The attachment case was there and open, so why not right? Why not try the zigzag cam? And wouldn't you know it zigzagged.  I sighed... got up, unplugged it, went into the house and came back with a quarter bucket of Mr Clean and some rags. It was 8:32 when I finished.


The most (?) surprising thing about the 'Stuckmore' was the sound. The loudest thing when it ran was the bobbin case. It runs as quietly and nearly as smooth as the Necchi BU. It's was so inspiring that I began repairs to the cabinet.

I’m about to reunite them. The funny thing is… that I knew when I began this project  I might be spending a lot of time on something I’ll have to donate.  The machine might be durable and reliable, and hard working, but it’s still in that segment where the sewing world considers it too common.

 

 In a way, I think sometimes that’s exactly why I do it. Besides this machine, the trade really narrowed down my sewing basket list. I’m still looking for a portable hand crank for Sis. My own curiosity seeks out a specific White/Kenmore/Gritzner model and perhaps a Nova. (I should know better than to say that. I’d take in any Necchi in need.) 

But the rest? I think I’d let the rest go. The problem is that ‘the rest’ is quite a few, and I just added the one above. I may use a page here and do an inventory. Maybe one of the six of you that read this will show an interest.





1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog via a friend's recommendation. I love to fix/clean old machines. Your posts are a lot of fun and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete