Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Four Variations of the Type 40 Deluxe Library table?

One of my favorite machines is my curbside recuse Singer 101. For some strange reason I enjoy it's simplicity. It's a straight ahead only (no reverse) machine and it can be very quick.  During the course of saving the machine, I researched the model the manual, wiring... and the cabinet.

Up until then, all of the Singer DeLuxe Model 40 tables I ran across were different than this one. On this one the leaves are cut at a 50/50 split, and the right leaf drops down while most other type 40's had a 75/25 split where the right leaf stays horizontal... and I didn't know why. This made me dig further, and the more I dug, the stranger it got.

Now, finally, I think I've worked out some of the details. From the information that I have managed to gather the type 40 table began life as a different beast than the ones we are used to seeing. The original 40 appears to have had a flip down foot rest and three different compartments and the leaves were a 50/50 split.


I believe this above ^ is the earliest variation of type 40 table made circa 1920 to appox 1922 - and I have to say approximately because I can only go by what I find when it comes to other type 40's using the date of the -hopefully- original machine. So, my dates may be off a tad, but I think I'm getting close.


Version 2:


The earliest second variation type 40 dates from January of 1923 (casting date of machine) where the foot rest part of the cabinet may have been discontinued leaving a simple crossbar.


Version 3:


Perhaps in a cost saving move (?) this 40 lost a few more details. The three drawer - and I should probably be more specific - one pull out drawer, middle drop-down drawer, and third hinged door with a storage shelf designed to hold the oil can - became simplified to one single drop down.  The other detail lost in this change was the small flat pyramid medallions on the front of the legs. This occurred somewhere between 1923 and at least 1930.



Version 4:


This far-more simplified table had the leaf split change from 50/50 to 75/25 with no drop down - perhaps (?) to increase the size of the area for material to slide across - or maybe to be in line with the rest of Singer's woodworking, but this forth variation becomes the more common type 40 made well into the 1950's.

I realize that this doesn't have anything to do with how a machine works or how well it sews. Perhaps it's just a clutter of information: like knowing that Singer machines with centennial badges were probably not manufactured in 1951... or that the time period for crinkle finish is between 1941 and 1953... or that 66s had a reverse lever from 47-ish to 56...

it's all interesting perhaps, but hardly important to function.

It may help someone date a machine at a glance, and the type 40 cabinet didn't always have a model 101 machine. Early electric versions of the 66, 15, and 128 maybe nestled within. I've seen version 4 tables with 201s, 301s and 15-91s:


And yet... this simple styled Type 40 DeLuxe Library Table was one of the very first cabinets ever designed to house an electric sewing machine to be sold nationwide to the home market.  One might suggest that all electric sewing machine cabinets began here, even though it wasn't Singer that introduced the -very- first electric machine, they were the first 'major' sewing machine company to begin wide distribution of the model 101 in 1920. All the other models took a back seat and it wasn't until late 1921 when exterior motors (not potted) began to appear on other Singer models.


There were a host of other changes that happened to the design of the controls. The earliest models did not have a removable pedal control clamped into the cabinet's knee control bracket - like the later version 4. The electronic bits were mounted in various different ways. The earliest 101 machines had a casting to hold the electronics, and a year or two later the carbon discs became mounted in tubes that hung off the back inside panel... until the ceramic insulator came along... and that was mounted on a side panel - even the easily recognizable vintage Singer six wire junction and plug didn't come into use until at least 1930.

While there were changes going on underneath... and to the drawers, legs, and leaf design... the one thing that appears to have remained constant through the years are the measurements of the table top. I've had the opportunity to examine a version 2 table and compare it with with both a 3 and 4... and found the dimensions to be identical.

Again, this might not mean much... but now I know that I could -probably- unbolt the top of any type 40 and bolt it into the frame of any other variation, and this information might just come in handy the next time I see an ad for a something like this:


Of course knowing this... means I might now have to go and save this one.

I have a bad case of early 40 flu.

If this isn't enough information on identifying early type 40s from later 40s, then let's make things even more murky by mentioning this thing called the 'Combination' table. Supposedly, your machine sat in a rectangular cut-out space in a table top so you could pull it out, set it aside, drop in the inserts and... play cards? I dunno. Seems unlikely in 1920 that you would want the option of moving your machine out of table because 101s were not exactly light weight! The combination table makes a lot more sense in the 50s when you could grab the 301 and set it aside with no issue, and yet I find these photos of what appears to be very early Combination tables with many of the same details as the early type 40 tables.


Do note that combination tables also had slight differences. The earliest ones had a tri-fold hinged wooden inserts that folded up and then down out of the way (model 305 as above) while the combination table model 301 had a simple one-piece insert.


This last one is a true mystery. It has some of the details of a version 2 type 40... but the width of a combo! I'm not saying I'm dead-on right about all these details, but I hope this is a place to begin.  Please write your comments, corrections or references on the underside of a version 1 or 2 and mail them to...

No, just kidding. All comments welcome!

*Addendum April 26, 2018

Right when I thought I'd seen them all... I find this two year old classified ad:



This is certainly curious. It's a Singer model 66 in a type 40, and the table has the 50/50 split with the drop down right leaf. It also has the medallions on the legs... however, there are no cross braces for the legs and it has only the single drop down drawer.  This suggests a missing link model between variation 2 and 3. There may be more of these out there, and if there are... then I my have to make it a variation all its own and bump the number up to 5.

I can imagine a scene where the cabinets are being built and they are changing between designs. It's possible there's going to be some over stock of older parts that need to be used. This example above could be one of the first few variation 3's to have been built... and they just so happened to have a few sets of variation 2 legs left. I'm not saying that I know this is the case... but as more information comes in, I'll update this page.




11 comments:

  1. I love these old cabinets! If I ever want to buy one, what should I look for other than finish? How could I tell if the electronic parts are functioning if there’s no machine included? I’d also love to find a matching sewing stool. What style of leg should I look for? I’ve not seen any that have medallion legs, but have seen one that has a slight curve to the keg with square-ended feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you purchase one without a machine, I would probably find a Singer that includes a foot pedal. Many models will fit all the way into the 80s. That's the easy fix there, as for the legs only the Type 40 Queen Anne had the curved legs - and matching stool. All the other versions of the 40 matching stool had very similar straight legs. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently acquired a sewing machine in a type 40 cabinet that seems another variation. My wife, a long time seamstress/tailor, drove in the driveway and as I was helping her out of the car I asked, "Did you see that sewing machine across the street?" "Yes", she answered. Come to find out it needed to go. I brought it home and it turns out it is a singer model 115 made Dec.1916. It had a swing-a-way style motor. As I say it was in a type 40 library table. However when you lift the foot rest it reveals a full size cast iron treadle style pedal but it controls a rheostat that is wired up through the leg into the cabinet. I have several photos. I am looking for a source for a new rheostat or someone to recondition the one I Have. Thank you for your blog. It is what let me know it was a type 40 table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have pics you can share of your cabinet? I just picked up a cabinet today that sounds just like yours. I'd be interested in seeing another example. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I have my grandmother's type 40 cabinet with Singer machine. It is in good condition, and the cabinet has never been refinished. She was born in 1896 and was a seamstress, the daughter of a NYC tailor. I imagine she got the machine and cabinet in 1929/1930 as she didn't marry until 1929/1930 and I THINK it may have been a wedding gift. I learned to sew on this machine in the 1970's, and to my knowledge still works fine. It is only missing the silver bobbin cover, which I remember was taped on to keep it in place and probably fell off during our move 20 years ago. If I send you a pic can you tell me which Singer electric machine it is? And also any recommendations on how best to sell it all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure feels great to have found this post. I just began my collection of vintage sewing machines and happened to come across two (model 66) Singers sewing machines both with motors dating 1926 and 1929. One has reverse the other does not they both came with cabinets (grand total $25.00 for both at Goodwill salvage center.) The one with no reverse came in the styled Type 40 Deluxe Library Table 50/50, it has no cross members support on the legs and only one center drawer. And the foot control is removable as stated on your piece (this machine is surprisingly quiet.) I have gone in and thoroughly clean inside and out on both machines and rewired.

    I do have a question: one of the legs of the Deluxe Model 40 is damaged what appears a cat used it as a scratching post. I'm familiar with doing woodworking and would like to build a new leg for it and restore the cabinet but do not know what materials they used or leave as is (both machine and cabinet appear original as stated on your documentation.)
    ADVISE!!
    Thanks for sharing this great info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are Singer Library tables and then there is the straight leg #40. They have distinct differences. The library table has a taller front and sides etc. it has a flip out center storage rather than a drawer on the left and a door on the right. In print ads on the period 1911-1920 more or less and according to a major collector of the library tables there were four distinct models. Yes the top boards do resemble the early center split 40’s but the 40’s do not have the brass leg rosette details nor the bottom boards that may or may not house a treadle wheel. There are 3 versions of the #14 cabinet and the # 30. Titled in original ads as “ Library Tables” Mine is a combination treadle and motor. The #40’s are just described as tables.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could post a photo of my Singer #30 library cabinet similar looking but quite different from the library cabinet shown.
    Here is a blog from a long time collector who has done extensive research on the Library line of cabinet’s. The #40 straight leg as said above has very similar legs but much in common ends there.
    The # 30 looks the same closed up but hidden under the lower hinged shelf is both a treadle wheel and a motor controller so compatible for both treadling and electric use. They date from the mid to late 1910’s. https://selbysewingmachines.blogspot.com/2021/09/version-1-no-40-singer-cabinet-1919.html?fbclid=IwAR0_pdx3rTiccGp-xlNVYYyY1aDaM72qZVHa0_ze4-5Hhz6LDPjyYVFI67c_aem_AY989HI76CdBg2ag9-nLfFGvd4m373bJhEm78vXqlBUCBLRu9Q3wLUi1qwhU19cypIY&m=1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though you are calling these #40’s and the legs are quite similar, I am pretty sure they have their own numbers. Mine is a #30 and perhaps the rarest just due to its survivability
    It is a combo motorized and treadle with the motor controller function disconnecting by sliding a rod. The power cable goes through a leg and the belt fly wheel is attached and hides up under the bottom shelf board. The motor is the old swing Westinghouse type.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am about to buy what you call the combination 40 with a model 66 bought in 1933. Apparently, the machine is stored in the table, and the two extra table blades appear automatically to close the table. There is also a hinged storage compartment to the left of the machine. I’ll tell you more after I’ve seen it.

    ReplyDelete