Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Small World Mira

 "I like that sticker on the back of your car." I said to the two ladies standing in the garage.
"The WVU sticker?" the one asked.
"Yes, that's where I went to school."
"Me too." she said.
"What part of town did you live in?" I asked.
"Pineview Apartments," she said.
"Now way, I lived in Pineview, right when you pulled in to the office, third floor."
"You couldn't have, because that's where I lived."

Once we sorted it all out we realized that the summer she graduated and moved out...  my two roommates and I moved into the very same apartment. Now that's just weird. Especially when it's thirty some odd years later and I'm standing in a nearly empty garage way across a city that I haven't lived in for two decades. We were all looking down on an old sewing machine that I really didn't need. I'd been saying to myself for quite some time that it might  be nice to stumble upon a Mira... but I wasn't actively looking.

The ad went up on one of the local online classified services and showed several photos of a cabinet and only hints of the green machine within.  The seller's description centered on the unusual furniture design and the many possible repurposes for a mid-century modern, blonde-colored, wooden desk and matching chair that became a part of the desk when not in use. I was excited about the cabinet, the possibility of the machine being a Mira only added intrigue. I called the number. The ad had been online for about seventeen minutes. When a voice answered I asked the dumbest question ever...

Do you still have the sewing machine? (hehe)

I sat on the edge of my seat all the way across town through rush hour traffic. The rational part of me seriously wondered: what in the world was I doing? This was not a machine I needed. I was going to have to find a way to get the cabinet in the house. Furniture would have to be rearranged. This was not going to be easy. I was making a ton of work for myself... all because of a 'collector's' mentality? Seriously?


Readers of this blog might know already that I have this wonderful little Necchi BU that sews up a storm. It's the machine that took well over a week to bring back to life and it has returned the favor by being my best behaving machine.  I took a pretty big chance bringing it home...


That experience encouraged the hunt for a Nova... which I did find. The Nova needed assistance as well, but it became useful in the sewing room. With both of these machines up and running and easily accessible... there really wasn't any practical reason to find a third.  Except that's how they were introduced: first the BU in '48, then the Nova in '53, then the Mira in '54, and after that a major face lift happened across most of the Necchi line. With the exception of the Espiria and Miranda, all the other machines were sleek and curvy.

Practicality had nothing to do with my interests.

It was more about that thing.  Perhaps it was a 'finishing the set' thing and maybe it was the cabinet thing: a Dutch influenced design made to save on space and a little desk when not in use.  As far as I know there is no specific term that identifies this piece.


This design was not exactly new or specific to Necchi. A cabinet very similar in shape was offered by Montgomery Wards in the 1940's and Kenmore had it's own version in the 50's, even Pfaff offered what seems to be the exact same piece as the one shown above.


Montgomery Ward


Mid 50's Kenmore



One can also see the design influences from the 1930's
when 'parlor' treadle cabinets became equally compact.

*     *     *

There had been a down pour that forced us all into the garage
and there before me was this beautiful little cabinet
and inside (because I just had to look) was the bonus... a light green Mira. 
It was a two-for, a buy one get one free.
I know right? But I have to rationalize it somehow...


The machine itself was in excellent condition. It wasn't covered in oil or dirt. 
It looked well loved, the hand wheel turned, the needle went up and down.... 
and yet it had a story to tell as well.


It had 'that' plate. Not all Mira's come with it. This motor mount plate was reserved for the Mira machines that were ordered with the Wonder Wheel. If I found a wheel, it would bolt right on!


 The other tell-tale signs of Wonder Wheel are the holes in the zigzag levers.
These are needed for the arms of the wheel to connect.

And yet, with all of this aside and exciting and just about as perfect as it could get...  it was still a vintage sewing machine. To be more specific... it was still a vintage Necchi sewing machine which usually means one thing: check every millimeter of wiring.  Since all the wiring I could see was still green... I knew it was all original.

Below the deck there's a connection that runs from the junction box to the knee control. It's an ingenious two piece affair with a plug on one end so that the machine can be removed from the cabinet without having to disassemble anything. After chasing down all the wires, this was the only piece I found that looked worrisome

 

The insulation had cracked beyond repair. That gentle curve and sixty plus years of bending every time the machine was rolled up or down had taken its toll. It's the only 'high stress' piece of wire on the entire set up, and even though the pair of wires underneath all that mint green were individually wrapped, it still had to be redone. Not redoing it would have been irresponsible.


 One end of this section was easy to find and unplug inside the cabinet but
the other had to be chased into the motor cover and the junction box underneath.


In just the act of moving the motor assembly to gain access... 
bits of insulation crumbled every which way.
Of course I like to think the timing was perfect, and that this machine
found its way into my shop right when it needed to be fixed.
In truth, it probably could have gone for awhile longer, maybe...


With the contact ends loose... the wires had to be slipped between the deck 
and then unplugged at the other end.


The plug itself was in great shape and it is the kind that can be reused.


It only took a few minutes to cut a correct length of new wire, strip the ends,
crimp on prongs, add a little shrink wrap and then re-attach it all.
The hardest part... was making a little drawing so that I put
all the wires back in the correct order.


And then I reassembled the motor cage and restored it to the deck.


The last minor little issue was some old masking tape and adhesive.


This all slide off pretty quick with little effort and some sewing machine oil.

 
Now I'd like to tell you that the story is over, but it may just be the beginning?

The Mira is clean, oiled, the questionable wiring has been replaced and I've gone so far as to go over the cabinet with two coats of furniture wax. The machine runs, sews, the light works, the two speed switch works... 
what else is there to write about?

How about an email a month later from the seller
saying they just found the box of bits... if I'm interested.
- and this is the picture they sent.


So now I wait for the opportunity to pick up the Wonder Wheel. 
(white box lower right corner)
At this rate I may have to give up vintage sewing machines, 
because I can't imagine a scenario getting any better than this.

 Maybe the lesson I need to take from it is that
I should toss 'practical' out the window a little more often
and just enjoy the adventure.  =)


4 comments:

  1. Wow. What a story. What a find. Is that an original bill of sale? I have to confess I am hooked on vintage Singers, especially the 301s. They sew the best for me. I have never seen any of these machine in real life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say for sure it's the 'original' bill of sale, but it is dated 1954... so it may indeed be just that! I'll know when I get a chance to pick it up. I like the 301's as well. Very good machine. =)

    ReplyDelete